This morning I received another welcomed email from my sister-in-law in Illinois. She is a regular reader of my blog and I appreciate that--I need to stay connected to family. But, I was also reminded at how different our views of the world can be. I share the following because I have tried to explain to others (and to myself) the reason I am traveling at this stage in my life. To me, there is so much to learn about our world and the people who inhabit this global space.
She wrote:
Your brother and I have OFTEN said that we have absolutely no
desire to leave this wonderful United States of America.
There is nothing anywhere else that we want to do or
see. We have it all right here on Gentleman Road to
make us happy and content. God Bless the USA!
We do enjoy reading about your adventures!
Love,
J & N
I responded:
Hi all:
I can understand your desire not to leave, and I respect that. But, there's something very positive that occurs in going to other places as well--it's certainly not all negative--toilet paper and traffic. It's comforting to see the human side of the world--that people love their families, worship God in many ways, respect the earth and its beauty. And, it's a real joy to see that traditions mean something to cultures--dance, music, laughter, food, and friends.
I like knowing that everyone doesn't have to look just like me or to be just like me to have real value in this world.
It's not just the travel; it's the people I meet.
Tonight I'm having coffee with Tony Angastiniotis, aka Chief Tony Night Eagle Angastiniotis (Judge for the International Human Rights Tribunal into Genocide in Canada). His is a Greek Cypriot who works at a Turkish Cypriot University (very unusual) and is involved in peace efforts in Cyprus. He works to bring both sides together--starting with the admission that there were murders and mass graves (on both sides) in 1974. He was also part of the effort to expose the atrocities of the Church with Native American children in the residential schools in Canada. He is a Native American (Cherokee) from Canada with mixed ancestry from Cyprus. An interesting history. His website is http://fems.emu.edu.tr/tony/
Today, I'm off for a trip across the northern range of mountains in Cyprus, to visit a monastery, a castle, and a quaint restaurant tucked in the hills. It's a sunny day, 70 degrees. More SEA to SEE and roads to travel.
Love to all,
Nancy
Inside the Walls: The Historic Gates of Nicosia
3 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment