Saturday, June 7, 2008

Honestly, It's Not All Play. . .

Browsing the Internet this afternoon, with the self-aggrandising act of "googling" myself, I located a news story that proves my work in Cyprus is actually being recorded by the American Embassy! Wow. This is the link: http://nicosia.usembassy.gov/EmbatWork/ACeducMay08.htm

The month of May was very busy, indeed, with this presentation on higher education at Near East University in Nicosia, a SPIKE lecture on the Rwandan Genocide at Eastern Mediterranean University in Famagusta, a short presentation on my research on conflict resolution at the Fulbright Board's monthly meeting, the conference paper in Athens on conflict/educational curricula, and a presentation at the University of Cyprus on the "cyber class" that my colleague Carol at CSULB and I taught this semester.

Since I returned from Athens, I've edited one paper for publication and am revising a conference paper, to be presented in November and published shortly thereafter.

Oh, yes. In my spare time, I continue to check my Cyprus road maps for trips planned in the next two weeks: to Kourion (for a Shakespearean play), to Aphrodite's Birthplace and Bath on the west coast; a return to artist Ismet Tatar's studio in Kyrenia, a couple of days in a mountain retreat in the Troodos--to hike and stay cool, and another two-day stay in a friend's new condo near the beach near Paphos/Polis.

I wonder, when the Cyprus Air plane leaves Larnaca at 5:00 in the morning of June 28, headed to Heathrow with connections to Long Beach, will I really. . .will I really be aboard?

3 comments:

Phivos Nicolaides said...

No you won't be abroad. You 'll be just far away, because you think like a global citizen full of feelings and idealism. Thank you Nancy for sharing your views and ideas with us. I enjoy your blog.

Philip

Elizabeth Young said...

I love this blog so much that I almost don't want you to be on board! But I do look forward to your being back in the USA. Your blog is such a wonderful mix of photos, professional experiences, personal reactions, and cultural commentary. You are an exceptional asset to the Fulbright Program! Very impressive work, Nancy--as usual!!

Elizabeth

Nancy Strow Sheley said...

Thank you, Philip and Elizabeth, friends from both sides of my world.
Nancy