Whatever possessed me to buy a ticket to Cyprus last October? After living here six months, did I think I could return "home"? T. Wolfe told me "no." And, he was right. It's a different world, not being a Fulbrighter, not having a car, not having a real purpose, not living in an apartment, not having my traveling partners Evi and Justine, not knowing how to structure my days.
But, different is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm on a mini-vacation in a place that fascinates me. I'm on foot, trekking two-three miles a day around the maze of streets in old and new Nicosia/Lefkosha. I'm tempted by the shoe stores in ways I wasn't when I was on the tighter budget. I can visit my favorite restaurants. And it is really a delight to pop in on people who do not expect to see me--at the University of Cyprus, at the Fulbright Office. The looks I've received! "Is it really you?"
I'm staying at the CAARI (Cyprus American Archeological Research Institute) on Andreas Demitriou Street near Wagamama. Here, I met a delightful young scholar, named Madeline, who recently graduated from Yale, was a member of the elect-Obama machine, and is on a year-long fellowship here. We traded secrets. I showed her where the good, close, home-style Cypriot restaurants are; she let me know the ins and outs of the Obama campaign. Tomorrow she heads back to the States for the Inauguration--one of the balls and all!
To date, I've checked in with friends, had dinners with colleagues, will see my ex-landlord tomorrow, shopped at Alpha Mega, strolled Makarios, crossed at both Green Zone checkpoints, and read the daily news.
In many ways, I feel I haven't left. In all ways, I know I'll return. . .again and again.
Inside the Walls: The Historic Gates of Nicosia
3 weeks ago

1 comment:
Welcome back dear friend Nancy. So glad to know you are again with us! Have a nice staying and fun. Enjoy yourself!
Post a Comment