Saturday, May 19, 2007

Cyprus

19-05-2007

In 2008, for six months, I will be in Cyprus teaching American Studies at two universities: The University of Cyprus in Nicosia and Eastern Mediterranean University in Famagusta. I've never been to Cyprus and am anxious to learn all I can before I go there in January 2008.

I'll be teaching a course in American Studies called "The Conflicted American Dream," centered on three basic questions about American culture: "What is 'The American Dream?" "Whose Dream is it, anyway?" and "What are the obstacles in the United States which prevent us all from living the Dream?"

I've established this blog space so that I can communicate with friends, family, and others interested my "next" life abroad--working, teaching, living, learning.

Blogging is new to me: it's exposed, raw, "out there." Although I love writing, blogging is a challenge. It is a slow process. Everything I know about good writing (knowing one's audience, focus, content, revision) seems irrelevant in this space.

Enough already. Here are some questions for you:
Who are you, reading this?
What do you expect from these posts?
What does the "American Dream" mean to you?

3 comments:

DeeJay said...

Brava! I am very much looking forward to following your latest adventure. I can not think of anyone I’d rather have representing “America” than you. A smart, open-minded, kind, modern woman is exactly what the world needs to see right now.

To answer your questions, I am a married mother of two, working in a corporate atmosphere while still considering myself not of the mainstream. (You’ve read some of my book choices, not mainstream right?)

I expect to have a peek at world that is out of my reach, yet not beyond the reaches of my curiosity or imagination. (I really expect to live vicariously through you!! Ha ha!)

The American Dream to me is an almost mythical, ideal that is at once beautiful and tragic. Beautiful because it offers hope as well as incentive to those that are willing and able to work hard, stay focused and overcome adversity of many stripes. Tragic because I feel too many misconstrue this to mean material wealth = happiness/success. It also seems that while many have been able to attain their goals and reach a certain level of “success” they are unable to pass the ethics that helped them achieve their goals down to the next generation. I love the phrase “There is nothing new under the sun”. This is beautifully illustrated in one of my all time very favorite works “The Good Earth” by Pearl S. Buck. I know, it is set in China and was chosen by Oprah (can’t get more mainstream than Oprah!!) but what an awesome depiction of a man, his struggle to succeed and his ultimate self realization. I think this book is “American” to the core.

I can’t wait to follow your journey!

Michal said...

I'm a former grad student of Julie van Camp and followed her blog link here. I'm 26, live in Ohio and am in my second year of rabbinical studies.

I'll read your blog because I love to see how Americans react to different cultures. I've traveled quite a lot, and I'm always curious how we respond to difference. What stands out for us? I also was an English major in undergrad so am looking forward to reading your prose!

As far as the American dream is concerned, I always think of Alger's pulling oneself up by the bootstraps. This can mean anyone from Bill Gates to my great-grandfather, who came to the US from Russia with $6 in his pocket. I think the Dream today is intangible, and, unfortunately for many, unrealistic as well. Wealth propagates wealth, and if the Dream is wealth many are unlikely to attain it. Emotional/intellectual success is a very different matter, but one that's neither culturally acknowledged or appreciated.

Cheers!

rcash said...

Nancy,
Mary and I send best wishes as we know today is the departure day. We Will be following you and look forward to reading of you experiences and reactions to the Fulbright experience in Cyprus. Having been a Fulbright Scholar in Cyprus I see you being a welcome addition to the many who have served there. Best Wishes
Bob