Sunday, January 6, 2008

Five days and counting before I leave. . .

As I attend to the last minute details of packing, setting accounts in order, saying goodbyes, and keeping connections, I find myself questioning this adventure. What possessed me to believe this would be easy--or even do-able? I feel over-my-head, out-of-my-body, detached from reality. At the bon voyage party last night, I was split in two--the terrified, anxious, undeserving N. observing the calm, expectant, proud-of-my-self Self.

I'm looking forward to surviving, then thriving during this experience in Cyprus. My greatest fears are missing my children, my dogs, my comfortable home space. And, also, being an ineffective teacher and awkward tourist. My greatest expectations are feeling at peace with the land, being a part of a greater world, and meeting people who will change my life.

Life is short; dreams are pictured wisps of thought, but actions create character. I stand at the edge of my known world, ready for change.

2 comments:

F said...

Long road from Topeka, you go girl, do your best, proud of you. You will do fantastic. I envey you and the job you are doing.

F

Pam said...

I am so proud of you. You are probably just now getting your breath after the long haul. I had lunch with my little friend from Cyprus last week and she will be coming back home after the end of the month (maybe). She was very interested in you and you will be welcome in their home any time. I will be keeping up with your adventures on this space but will also e-mail you on your regular mail through the university.
Much love to you.