Wednesday, January 23, 2008

English 583: The Conflicted American Dream


Attached to this blog is a photo of my class at the University of Cyprus. On the first day, 26 students were present. What a super group! (Twenty-four women and two men--although one is out of the frame on the right.) I look forward to this semester. They want to know more about the U.S.; I want to learn more about Cyprus. We're an ideal match.

The official course title is "The Conflicted American Dream: Multiple Perspectives, Critical Views." Whose dream is it? What obstacles prevent the majority of Americans from attaining that dream? And, more. Students will examine different aspects of American culture through fiction, non-fiction, and film.

On another note, I'm learning to drive in Nicosia--British style, on the left side of the roadway. It's a daunting task. I keep turning on my windshield wipers when I think I'm signaling turns. That's quite disconcerting. And, my worst fear came true today--I was stuck in an intersection in heavy traffic, and the light turned red. Everyone began honking. So, I honked too--at the person in front of me. Somehow, it felt O.K., and we all cleared the intersection safely.

As progressive as Cyprus is, there are still moments here that take me pleasantly back to my previous decades. For example, when I pulled into the local Esso station to "fill it up," I was surprised--no, shocked--that the attendant was there to pump the gas for me! Only in my dreams these days in California, but I do remember when. . . . And, not only did he fill it up, he washed the windshield, put air in all four tires, and checked the oil. I felt like I was in the twilight zone--or back in the 60s.

No comments: