Thursday, January 31, 2008

Life with Subtitles

I am ready for a universal, world language--it doesn't have to be English. I would struggle to learn anything--once. I'm not sure it should be Greek, however. Greek is difficult to master; the pronunciation of some sounds seems to be impossible for my tongue. Or, perhaps my brain has just been patterned too deeply. I have two lovely girls in my class. Both are named Georgia. Of course, those of us from the States know Atlanta, and we know how to say the state name. But here, it's Yee-or-yee-ah. Even knowing the word (its sound and its meaning) doesn't make it familiar when it appears on a class roll. Billboards and road signs, too, are mysteries of their own. Years ago, I learned the Greek alphabet (mispronouncing the names of the letters, of course). No one mentioned there were little letters that looked nothing like the big ones.

And television. I listen carefully to all conversations. So far, I've picked up "endoxie" (O.K.) and signomi (excuse me). The only thing I understand, mostly, are the commercials. Desperate Housewife Eva eating a chocolate was pretty obvious; it wasn't about headache remedies. I've watched a few English movies with subtitles. . .I listen for the dialogue and at the same time, I'm confused by the Greek letters in the subtitles. By that time, the action has moved on, with me still hanging on to a figment of ideas.

Perhaps, I need subtitles to keep my life in order. I could put one on my car's back bumper: Careful, driver signals turns with windshield wipers. Or, tatoo a phrase on my forehead: I'm American, but it's no excuse.

In time, things will fall into place. I'm going to learn numbers next. Then, I won't have to hand everyone a 20 euro bill everytime I purchase something, knowing I will get the correct change. People here are kind and helpful. And fair. But, my paying for a 50 cent paper every day with a 20 euro bill is really getting old to the woman in the news stand. Maybe the sticker for that would be: Make my day; make my change in two-cent pieces!

No comments: